Key Points
- The Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service announced that the Rhandirmwyn wildfire has been extinguished on 18 August 2026 after several days of extensive work.
- The major incident has been canceled, and all roads that were closed due to the wildfire in the vicinity of the affected area have been re-opened.
- Firefighters have been withdrawn from the site of the fire; however, the fire service will keep an eye on the situation and conduct regular inspections for possible hot spots.
- It is expected that some changes in smoke intensity may be observed by the locals or tourists, and this fact is quite normal after such a massive incident.
- The service expresses gratitude to local residents, businesspeople, landowners, farmers, as well as mutual aid crews from North Wales and Lancashire who provided their help during the wildfire.
- Initially, the incident was accompanied by water drops performed by a helicopter and the area where the fire took place covered almost 480 hectares, and dozens of houses had been evacuated.
Wales Fire (Wales Times ) August 18, 2026 – The wildfire that burned for days in the Rhandirmwyn area near Llandovery has been brought to a conclusion, with Mid and West uk/fire/">Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirming this afternoon that the proactive firefighting phase is over and operational crews have left the scene.
- Key Points
- What happened to the Rhandirmwyn wildfire on 18 August 2026?
- How did emergency services bring the Rhandirmwyn fire under control?
- Which roads were closed and have they now reopened?
- Were any properties evacuated during the Rhandirmwyn wildfire?
- What did the fire service say about community and partner support?
- What should residents do if they see flames or smoke now?
- Background to the Rhandirmwyn wildfire development
- Prediction: how this development may affect local communities and future wildfire responses
What happened to the Rhandirmwyn wildfire on 18 August 2026?
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said on 18 August 2026 that, following several days of intensive firefighting activity and a coordinated multi-agency response, the wildfire at Rhandirmwyn has now concluded. In a statement, the service confirmed that the major incident declaration has been stood down and all roads previously closed as part of the emergency response have reopened.
Operational firefighting crews have now left the scene, although the incident will continue to be closely monitored through regular proactive visits to the affected area for the foreseeable future to check for any remaining hotspots. The service added that as conditions continue to settle, members of the public may notice occasional fluctuations in smoke levels from the affected area, which it described as not unexpected following an incident of this scale.
How did emergency services bring the Rhandirmwyn fire under control?
The incident began earlier in the week and at its peak involved multiple fire crews, mutual aid support and aerial assets. As reported by Carmarthenshire News Online, Fire Service Manager Geraint Thomas described tree-height flames spreading in a pine forest in the Rhandirmwyn area, with the perimeter of the fire expanding to 480 hectares – an area he likened to around 670 football pitches – encompassing broadleaved woodland, mountain moorland and pine forest.
On Saturday, 15 August, a helicopter was actively supporting firefighting operations by carrying out water drops on affected areas, helping crews suppress fire activity in challenging terrain, according to reporting by The Independent and WalesOnline. Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service was also supported by colleagues from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service during the height of the operation.
Cooler weather conditions on Friday contributed to the flames being brought under control, Mr Thomas said, as cited by Carmarthenshire News Online. Throughout the operation, a multi-agency Tactical Coordination Group coordinated the response, supported affected communities and ensured a joined-up approach between emergency services and partner organisations, the fire service noted in earlier updates.
Which roads were closed and have they now reopened?
During the major incident, road closures remained in place around the affected area to support firefighting operations and maintain public safety, with the public asked to respect these closures and follow signed diversion routes. On 18 August, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that all roads previously closed as part of the emergency response have now reopened.
Were any properties evacuated during the Rhandirmwyn wildfire?
Several residential properties were evacuated as a precaution due to the fire’s proximity during the incident. Councillor Handel Davies told the BBC that about 17 to 20 houses had been evacuated from two streets in the village, while Fire Service Manager Geraint Thomas said some 24 residents in the scattered hamlet area were evacuated for their safety. Carmarthenshire County Council’s rest centre at Llandovery Leisure Centre was made available for residents impacted by the evacuation arrangements.
What did the fire service say about community and partner support?
In its 18 August statement, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service placed on record its sincere thanks to the local community for the exceptional support, patience and understanding shown throughout the incident. “We are especially grateful to local residents, businesses, landowners and members of the farming community whose cooperation, local knowledge and practical assistance have been invaluable in supporting the emergency response,” a spokesperson said, as quoted by ITV News Wales and the Brecon and Radnor Express.
The service also acknowledged the vital contribution of partner agencies and organisations, whose expertise, resources and support played a key role in bringing the incident to a safe conclusion. It extended gratitude to all fire and rescue personnel, both from Mid and West Wales and those who assisted through mutual aid arrangements, whose professionalism, commitment and resilience helped protect communities, property and the environment.
What should residents do if they see flames or smoke now?
While active firefighting operations have ended, the fire service will maintain a watching brief and undertake regular proactive visits to monitor conditions. The service advised that if members of the public see flames or have significant concerns about fire activity in the area, they should call 999 immediately.
Background to the Rhandirmwyn wildfire development
The Rhandirmwyn wildfire developed amid a wider period of elevated wildfire risk across Wales, with multiple significant fires reported across Mid and West Wales and South Wales during the same week. Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service declared a major incident on Thursday evening as the Rhandirmwyn blaze grew, describing it as a “challenging and dynamic” incident.
At its peak, 14 crews were in attendance at Rhandirmwyn, with additional resources arriving through mutual aid, including crews from North Wales and Lancashire. Aerial support was deployed, with a helicopter conducting water drops to help suppress fire activity in difficult terrain. The fire perimeter reached around 480 hectares, burning across mixed terrain including pine forest, broadleaved woodland and mountain moorland.
Evacuations were carried out as a precaution, with local rest centres opened and road closures enforced to keep the area clear for emergency vehicles. Over subsequent days, cooler conditions helped firefighters gain control, leading to the decision on 18 August to conclude the proactive phase, stand down the major incident and reopen roads.
Prediction: how this development may affect local communities and future wildfire responses
The conclusion of the Rhandirmwyn wildfire is likely to bring immediate relief to residents, businesses and farmers in the area, allowing evacuated households to normalise daily routines and local traffic patterns to return as road closures are lifted. However, the fire service’s warning that smoke levels may still fluctuate suggests that some residents may continue to experience intermittent air quality impacts while the ground settles.
In the longer term, the scale of the incident – with a 480-hectare perimeter, multi-agency coordination and mutual aid from other fire services – may reinforce the need for sustained investment in wildfire preparedness in rural Wales, including training, equipment and community engagement on prevention. For local audiences, future wildfire responses could feature earlier public messaging on risks, clearer guidance on avoiding ignition sources during dry periods, and continued emphasis on keeping roads clear for emergency access.
